Monday, March 10, 2008

Who knew?

As anyone who has ever had the privilege/misfortune of living with me might attest, I have a really hard time keeping my living space picked up. Always have. From the days of sharing a room with my sister, to my room mates in college (most of whom seemed to share this quirk... strange how we find each other...) to now... I just have the worst time keeping things where they belong. My mom always told me, it takes just as much time to throw it on the floor as it does to hang it up/put it away. I never believed her. I always thought I was saving myself so much time by throwing my towel on the floor after my shower, leaving my hair dryer and products all over the vanity, my coat over the chair, my clothes on the floor at the end of the day... etc. etc. etc. I guess I thought it was a worth it to have those few seconds now instead of the hour(s) that it took to put it all away when I finally felt like Sara Cynthia Sylvia Stout. Anyway, I was feeling just this way a couple of weeks ago and decided it needed to end. I cleaned up my whole house, and decided it was going to stay that way... Guess what? She was right. It really does take just as much time to throw it on the ground as it does to hang it up/put it away. I have spent the past 2 weeks being completely amazed at how much time I have to do other things now that I just put things where they belong. I have to admit that I feel a little, o.k. a lot, sheepish that it took me 30 years to figure this out. I am just glad I figured it out now. Maybe I can help Riser figure it out sooner. So far I have taught him how to put away his socks and t shirts after I wash them and he helps me pick up his toys and books every night before bedtime. Anyway, I guess the moral of this story is: Listen to your mommy. It's almost like she knows what she's talking about!

6 comments:

Kristin Sokol said...

Jen--
Hats off to you. I also have shared your stuggle to keep things neat. My husband is neat, yet I am not neat. I have my day and sometimes even weeks of neatness, but always go back to not neat. Why Why Why. I want to be neat, I do. Anyway, I commend your effort. May you experience more longevity than I.

Kristin Sokol said...

The hypnobirthing classes are over now. Now we are in the practice makes perfect phase. I just got done writing some affirmations for Steve to say to me while I experince my surges. I am really excited about it. We should have an actual conversation about this again, now that I know a little more about it.

Did you do lunch with Heather today? How are you feeling?

Steph said...

This here post is probably one of the best mother's day gifts you could give your mom- a few months early. A "you were right about this mom" post is going to make your mommy glow for days :) I think I'll try it... clean up as you go!!

Heather said...

Seriously Jen... How do you actually KEEP it up? I'm like kristin..and try to be clean for a few days but then we end up with piles of clothes all over the floor within a week! It drives me crazy...but I still do it. Whats the trick to sticking to it?

jen&boys said...

It's still very much a work in progress. I just keep reminding myself anytime I see soemthing where it doesn't belong "just stop what you're doing and put it back, it will take like 20 seconds. Just go take care of it." It's hard to rewire 30 years of toss it where ever, but so far so good. The house is STILL clean. Yahoo!

Jenny Aguirre said...

Try having 5 kids to pick up after!! Maybe that will solve your untidiness problem (: We still need to go to lunch!!