Friday, April 4, 2008

A request for you all...

So, in the past few weeks I have read some really DUMB books. Dumb to the point that I really don't know why I even bothered to finish them. I got most of them from the "Reader's Choice" section of the library... Who are these readers and I what made them choose these books? I think I was extra annoyed by them because I have been in the mood for something excellent, but I really don't know what I'm in the mood to read. I thought "reader's choice... if readers are choosing them they must be good." They weren't... Anyway, you may be wondering, How does this involve me? Here's how... Please take a few minutes and leave me a comment with your top 3 books of all time. I'm placing a lot of faith in you, but I am certain that you can do better than those "readers" at the library did. Also, maybe if you all leave one and then look at what everyone else put down, we can all have some good books to read. Hooray! Everyone wins! No one will have to read dumb books!

8 comments:

Karl said...

1. Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
2. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
3. Enders Game - Orson S. Card (I know you have read it already, but I love it.)

Kristin Sokol said...

I don't consider my self a reader per-say. I usually read out of neccesity, things like "Enter Here", "Drive Thru","H" (which stands for hospital), you know...those kinds of things. I already graduated from college, who am I really still trying to impress?

However you probably already know about those Stephanie Meyer books everyone has been reading, the first book is Twilight. The second is New Moon, the third is Eclipse. I actually have read the first two and enjoyed them.

I also read a couple of Dan Brown books. And when I say I read them, I mean Steve read them to me. I particularly enjoyed Angels and Demons and The Davinci Code.

If you are into self help books. I really like, "The proper care and feeding of husbands" by Dr. Laura.

Those are my pick.

wishesUT said...

The Hiding Place
- Corrie Ten Boom

The Chosen
- Chaim Potok

Many of Jane Austin's books. . .

I have to agree that the Readers Choice books are generally really bad. In fact, in the future I've been considering blogging about the very books you've been writing about.

Steph said...

Wow. Favorite books of all time. I don't know if these are "of all time" but really good ones I have read recently. I just read a decent "readers choice" one called the Mistress of the Art of Death...very good. But maybe that's one of the ones you hated... Here's my recommends.. or faves at least.

1) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
2) To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee
3) Devil in the White City- Erik Larsen
4) Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

Rachel said...

Hard to choose, hard to choose. These are ones I've read several times so they are definitely keepers.

1. To Kill a Mocking Bird -Harper Lee
2. A Seperate Peace -John Knowles
3. Interview with a Vampire -Ann Rice
4. Cold Sassy Tree Olive Ann Burns
5. Enders Game (I know Karl already said this one, and you've already read it, but I do love it.) Enders Shadow is told from Bean's perspective and is kind of fun, not near as good though.

Nicole said...

I can't choose 3 favorites. I think I've read way too many good books. Plus I checked your good reads list and 2 of my favorites are on your list. So anyway, here are a few good one's I have read lately. 1) The Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. Book One is called A Voice In The Wind. Two is Echo in the Darkness. Three is A Sure as the Dawn. (Look at that...3 books in one!)
2)Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I see someone else already recomended this. Just thougth I'd second that recomendation. 3) Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I actually read this a very long time ago, but loved it.
So those are entertaining books. If you want something self-helpish, try The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. Or The Next Door Savior by Max Lucado.
OK...I better stop, or this could go on forever.

Larry said...

Here are a few from your old timer dad.
1. Robert Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land'.
2. John Steinbeck's 'Of Mice and Men'.
3. John Grisham's 'The Firm'.
4. Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons'.
and as others have mentioned,
5. Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.
How's that for an eclectic list of favorites.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just finished a book called "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner. I loved it. I also loved "Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. I loved Marcus Zusak's "The Book Thief." These aren't my favorites of all time, but they are ones that I have read recently that I liked!