Yesterday we got to go get more X-rays... This time of Riser. As he was cleaning up some toys, he jumped up and began screaming that he was choking. He seemed to be breathing as he jumped about, so I kind of watched to see if he could clear out whatever was in there, but when it seemed to not be working, we proceeded to the Heimlich. That produced an enormous belch, and the declaration that he had swallowed it... Then he started screaming that he had swallowed it... "What?!?!" What did you swallow?" I said. "A piece of my drum set!" he cried. We took a minute to go over exactly which piece of the drum set it was (a little metal cap that keeps the mallet for the foot drum in place), and then I began wondering what I do now... He's not choking, but where is that thing? Is it in a lung? trapped somewhere further down his throat? What will a piece of metal do in a 5 year old tummy? DO I just let it be? After consulting google and various family members, I decide to call his Dr, who says bring him right in. Perfect, except Karl had the car that day... He never takes the car... What are the chances? So, Karl comes home, we take him to the meeting he was supposed to be going to and head out for our X-rays. Thankfully, they look good. The metal piece had already cleared his stomach, and was on it's way through his intestines. Not stuck anywhere that it could do any damage. Phew!
When we got home, I asked him why it was in his mouth in the 1st place... it seemed so unlike him. He was a finger sucker when he was a baby, but he gave that up when he was around 2, and really hasn't put things in his mouth since then. He told me that he had it while he was upstairs, and when I asked him to come down and clean up the toys (Little tiny ones that I was actually worried that CHASE was going to choke on), he didn't want to leave it upstairs where it might get lost, and he didn't want to lose it down stairs somewhere, so he thought he'd just keep it in his mouth until he got done. Perfect 5 year old logic. Makes complete sense now. We decided that next time we could maybe find a good spot on the counter for things like that.
2 years ago
1 comment:
Poor kid! All I keep thinking though is "how is that going to feel on its way out?" YOUCH!
Post a Comment